Neil wrote:
Hello

For anyone who has burned CD's for Music, or Data, I've found

VERBATIM
CD'S are the worst.

That's strange. I have been using them for years CDs and DVDs and have
never had a problem with even one. As a matter of fact they are my
choice brand.

I thought I had a problem with my CD-RW Drive, so I
cleaned the optical laser with a cleaning CD,

You might as well sacrifice a goat or wave turkey feathers over it. I
checked with my PC users group and nobody has ever had any success with
one of these.

It appears that the stamped out( bright silver
surface type) CD's from the Software Companies work the best.

That's because these program CDs are not burned on a Drive like you
find in a PC. They are made by pressing the film against a glass
master before bonding the different layers together. This is the only
way to make thousands of copies at a reasonalble cost and they are much
more accurate. I one visited a place where they made video disk and
the machine they made the glass master on was mounted on a block of
concrete 20' square separate from the building and it's foundation to
prevent vibration. Compare the surface of one you burned to a program
disk. You can see where your drive stopped burning. Remember it burns
from the hole outward.

These VERBATIM CD-R's,
the surface refectivity is very low, so the laser takes longer for it
to read the CD.

I hope you were not using a Mk-1 eyeball to measure this reflectivity
unless you can see infa-red.

I'm thinking of dumping these CD-R's and
buying some others to replace them.

Don't dump them. Take them back to the place you bought them. I
needed a large quantity of DVD's to make copies of family reunion
movies I made back in the 1950's for all the relatives. I bought a
stack of 50 of a brand I had never heard of from MicroCenter that was
on sale. When I tried the first 4 DVD's three of them gave errors
during the burning process. This was the only brand I ever had a
problem with so I took them back to MicroCenter and got a refund after
filling out a form. I bought a stack of Verbatims and made my DVD's.

A few weeks later I received a letter from the MicroCenter Vice
President of International Product Sourcing Group. It contained a
letter apologizing for my trouble and 2 DVDs they wanted me to try.
They wanted me to see if there was an update for the Eprom and firmware
of my burner and install it before trying the new DVD's. I checked the
support site for my drive and sure enough there was an update. There
was also a forum with several complaints about the new update turning
their drive into a vegatable. I downloaded the new code but decided
not to install it until the problem is resolved.

I then tried to burn one of the new DVDs they sent me and it got a
"Session Fixation Error while writing lead out". The DVD would play
all the way to the end but did not return to the main menu.

Like you I have only had a problem with one brand.

Van