Mike Marlow

"J" wrote in message

'

What about the cross section of two dowels in the same space a biscuit

would
occupy?

Do the math.
Cross section of dowel = PI x r^2
Cross section of biscuit = length x thickness (#20 is 2.375 x 0.147)
So it would take three 3/8" diameter dowels to match the shear strength

of
a #20 biscuit or two 1/2" dowels.
Assuming the same strength of materials.

Sorry J - I wasn't asking what the cross section was. Typed out my reply in
too much of a hurry. I was headed down the strength of materials road. Was
it George or you that just posted the home brewed trials the other day?
That proved to be a very interesting observation.
--

-Mike-