George

"Will" wrote in message
. ..

Henry St.Pierre wrote:
Will wrote in
:

Under the new Intellectual Property laws (IP laws) you do not need to
register a copyright. The creation of a new physical work - painting,
story or other item like a carving or work of artistic impression (or
even a computer program) "gives" you the copyright, and the "moral
rights". They are independent of each other. (The moral rights prevent
someone from changing your work without written consent - and must be
granted independently..)

For example if a customer paints your goblet -- then yes you can take
them to court and force them to "change it back". Unless you
specifically signed over moral rights.... Course changing it back
would probably destroy it -- so nobody wins... :-)

If you want legal case law, look up the incident of Eatons dressing up
the statue in Eatons Square in Christmas time. The sculptor did not
like it and took Eatons to court. The sculptor won as I recall and the
scarf came off and the statue was bare for ever more... (Moral rights)

If I had bought the statue and the goblet,decided it was crap; took a

large
hammer to them and made smaller pieces of art - could the sculptor and
goblet artist take me to court for doing to my physical property what I
choose?

Pretty much. :-)

Unless you bought the moral rights. :-)

Even if he had the disclaimer attached, like the do in DVDs?

"This statue has been modified from the original. It has been smashed to
fit in the trash."