dennis@work

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message

In uk.d-i-y Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bill Woods" wrote in message
I use METHYLATED SPIRITS as a cleaner in the home and garage. I want
to buy a couple of litres.

I use soap.

Now there's a helpful comment! :-)

Well it's cheaper and safer than meths and very good at cleaning - that's
what it's designed for :-)

Soap is a wetting agent and is not a good cleaner and it doesn't kill germs
either.
That is why soap powders have been replaced by detergents as they are far
better at cleaning.

Meths isn't very good at cleaning either, it is a solvent and you have to
keep diluting and then removing the solution.
There are better degreasers (for example) but they are a bit more dangerous
in the wrong hands.

Meths is still useful as antifreeze in the windscreen washers but it can
attack the wiper rubbers.