Philip Lewis

(Doug Miller) writes:
A 240 line is usually the neutral and the two hot phases of the 120V
service in the residential home. (sometimes they have ground as well)

Not correct. A 240V circuit is usually the *ground* and the two hot legs of
the *240V* service in the home. Sometimes they have *neutral* as well.

And that would be the nuance of the rule that i mentioned i might have
missed. I was thinking of the stove outlets. Thank you for
clearing up the misunderstanding. (btw i also said the electrician
might be able to install a plug when i meant to say outlet.)

And by doing so, you'd probably create a dangerous condition,

If i were going to do it, I would likely have seen the
condition... which is why i said for him to call an electrician to see
about it. I also would use a circuit tester... though i don't think it
can tell a ground from a neutral, they should be electrical neutral to
each other and should be connected in the circuit panel... or is that
another nuance i've missed? (My guess is that assuming i thought the
other non hot wire was a neutral, and if i wired the receptacle using
that assumption that it would show an open ground which is what i
would be expecting)

I'm not a licensed electrician

I can tell. You should not be giving out electrical advice,

I'm not... (aside from telling him that i thought there was an "easy"
option that he should talk to an electrician about)... i thought I
made that clear... Perhaps not.

until you understand the difference between neutral and ground,

and probably not even then.

A neutral conducts electricity in normal operation,
A ground conducts only in some fault state.
At least that is my understanding of the situation...
but hey, you've shown my memory to be faulty... so i'm not
guaranteeing anything.

--
be safe.
flip