Adam Preble

I've done this, both with a pyrometer and with thermocouples, and the
response time is negligible when you're talking about the temp. of food.
Like, seconds. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really OC, you
could use a bare thermocouple.

Good Luck!
Rich

I might be that OC in this case. I tried to use a digital thermometer
for making fudge, and the long, metal probe couldn't get warm enough to
accurately report the temperature. I ended up burning the chocolate.
Yes, it's my fault for trying that with a digital thermometer, but when
it advertises it's good for candy, and can handle the temperatures
involved, I don't think I was so naive. This seems to be a common
problem with all the electronic thermometers. They have metal probes
that rely on conduction, which doesn't work when the metal probe cannot
heat consistently.