Rich Grise

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:03:49 +0000, Adam Preble wrote:

I once got a small lecture of thermocouples at school, but that doesn't
seem to cover much of everything. I'm curious what is all out there for
detecting heat, specifically detecting temperature. I was hoping to
find a device that could determine the temperature of the surface of
food just be "looking" at it. There are IR sensors that can do this
kind of thing, but it'd be nice if the sensor could be rigged to be
plunged inside the food and find the core temperature. Most sensors on
electronic thermometers seem to use conduction, which is sluggish
because the probe was warm up. I'm just trying to think of alternatives.

I've done this, both with a pyrometer and with thermocouples, and the
response time is negligible when you're talking about the temp. of food.
Like, seconds. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really OC, you
could use a bare thermocouple.

Good Luck!
Rich