Owain

I like the look of tarmac, but how durable is it, compared to
concrete?

More durable if anything; tarmac is slightly flexible - concrete cracks.
See
www.pavingexpert.com (or .co.uk ? - offline so can't check)

To turn a front garden into off-road parking will require Planning
Permission for a new road access (and consent from the road owner if not the
council).

Do you for a drop-kerb? My local council has a monopoly on installing
them, so P.P. would be done through that.

A drop kerb is physical work done to facilitate the passage of a wheeled
item (eg a wheelchair, not necessarily a car) between the road and the
pavement. It must be installed by the Council as they are the
landowners. You still require the legal permission to drive your car
over the pavement.

Owain