Bruce

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:39:16 -0700, GerryG wrote
(in article ):

When I first started with biscuits, I cut open some joints to see just how
well it was bonded, under different conditions. It's not difficult (or
expensive) to quickly try a dozen variations on a single piece of scrap. I
tried different amounts of glue and how well it was spread. Found the right
amount of glue and such gives a solid joint with little squeeze-out. As
expected, found MDF, particle board and such absorbs more glue. You either
apply a bit more or, like when gluing end grain, put on a thin coat then add
more a few minutes later. Now, the reason for expounding on this: if you add
glue to the biscuit, you're then very limited on time, and I don't see any
advantage. I build carcasses with shelves and such that may need several

dozen
biscuits applied at once. With clamps and all laid in position, I take a bag
of biscuits and a small rubber mallet. Each biscuit is pushed in, then 2
hammer taps, then the next. It makes for very neat and quick construction.

Gerry,
Have you ever tried one of those "biscuit" glue applicators? I've seen
TheNorm use one and they seem to speed application. I actually have a cheap
one but given the pain it would be to clean and my infrequent use of biscuits
I've never tried it.

In your tests, have you ever dissected an end-grain to end-grain joint?
Whenever I had to do this I've just used a half lap, figured biscuits would
be too weak.

-Bruce