Larry Jaques

On 3 Mar 2005 17:37:39 -0800, the inscrutable jim rozen
spake:

In article , Larry Jaques says...

It's a tough call. When Gideon v. Wainright was finally decided,

excuse. And poor folks get free legal representation.

Umm. You're kind of missing something here Larry.

No, I'm saying that the post I replied to implied that there
were folks going to jail without any representation and I
disagreed.

Do you know *why* they get free legal representation?

Hint. It was all about a man named Clarence Earl Gideon who
was arrested, asked for a lawyer, and was denied representation.

That was over 40 years ago, Jim. And I'm glad he went through
that so nobody ever got bamboozled again in the wonderfully just
courts of our land. :^(

I pose the same question to you Larry: should our criminal
justice system convict illiterates and incarcerate them, when
they've had no legal representation during the trial?

No, legal representation should be required by the courts for
every arrestee.

Would you overturn Gideon v. Wainright?

I haven't read it, but no, probably not.

But I would most likely overturn the recent case where they
somehow decided that murderers under the age of 18 (when they
killed someone) couldn't be put out of our misery. And I'd
find a way to de-fund the war on drugs, despite hating the
things. That dog don't hunt, son.

Now, where's my new gavel? chortle

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming