homeowner

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2005-02-28, homeowner wrote:

I want to finish the stairs to the basement with some laminates.
The pre-assembled flywood stair is of 8" (risers) and 10" (treads).
After cutting the nose (or fill under the nose), I only have 9" of
width to play with.

Applying finish risers and treads to a rough staircase is not going to
change the slope or steepness of the staircase. I don't quite see why
the finish materials would decrease the useable tread depth. How are
you going to be applying the laminate?

As to rules, I believe the UBC requires max 8" risers and minimum 9"
treads. However, my understanding is that these requirements are for
the rise and run of the staircase, not the actual depth of a finish
tread. For example, I believe that nosings are ignored.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks.

The tread depth (distance between 2 risers) is 9". Each rough tread has
a 1 1/8" nose. The finished laminate nose pieces only have 1/4" or so
noses. So difference before/after laminate installation is about 1" from
the nose difference.

Anyone finished a stair with laminate w/o tread depth change even though
noses change?