Colbyt

"homeowner" wrote in message

I want to finish the stairs to the basement with some laminates.
The pre-assembled flywood stair is of 8" (risers) and 10" (treads).
After cutting the nose (or fill under the nose), I only have 9" of
width to play with.

So as a result, I will have 8" risers and 9" treads. It seems a bit
of steep, and not deep enough of treads. But does violate any rule?
One ballpark rule I found on the net says
2 riser+ 1 treads = 24" to 25"
and that seems OK. But are there specific code on the sizes?

Another old rule is the rule of 17 (one riser one tread).

That said, modern building codes seem to prefer a 10" tread. I would check
local codes before I made a mess out this. I just saw a client have to tear
out an entire staircase and redo it before he could get a final inspection
to move in because his treads were 1/2" short.

Colbyt