Philip Lewis

I don't want to start running new circuits, which of course would be
the correct answer here, just looking for a safe temporary solution.

If I recall correctly, there is a rule in the NEC that says a 120V outlet
can be installed on the 240V feed for use when the dryer has both 120V
and 240V plugs.... so you might be able to get an electrician in there
to install the "120V" plug without "running a new circuit".
I'm probably missing some nuance of the rule though.

A 240 line is usually the neutral and the two hot phases of the 120V
service in the residential home. (sometimes they have ground as well)

If *I* needed a temporary 120V feed, I'd get a 240V (dryer) cord, run
it into a outlet box, cap one of the hot feeds, and wire up the second
hot/neutral to an outlet. I'd really want to put some sort of ground
on the device if possible, or use a gfci outlet if ground wasn't
available. Then I would plug in only when using the feed. This would
probably break all sorts of rules in the NEC though... so I wouldn't
recommend it for someone else.

I can't tell you what to do...I'm not a licensed electrician, and I
don't know what's going on at your house/box, nor do I know your skill
level.

Good luck in any case.

--
be safe.