chris French

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tony Bryer writes:
In article , Tim S wrote:
There are scaremonger wibblings about it being difficult to sell
the house down the line, but I think that's a load of b*ll*cks.

We've just sold a flat which had new windows last year and the
solicitors went to town on the FENSA paperwork - if we'd not been
able to produce it I doubt whether it would have stopped the sale
but would probably have been used to force a price reduction. It may
be a bit different with electrics if there's nothing to show when
the work was done and you don't fess up.

My impression (from a rather small sample of various colleagues
moving) is that for the year after Part L came in, all the solicitors
were asking for all the details. However, in the last year, most of
the building control related questions seem to have vanished -- two
of them were both asked specifically only about any structural changes
and any changes to underground drains they'd done (none in either case).
Maybe it depends on the buyer's solicitors, and/or any questions the
buyers mortgage company specifically ask, which may in turn depend on
the percentage mortgage?

We are in the middle of buying and selling, both the information form
that we filled in, and the one the sellers of the house we are buying
filled in had questions regarding FENSA paperwork for windows and one
asking about BRA for any electrical work carried out after Jan 1 2005,
as well as general ones about any alterations/conversions etc. and any
necessary consents, BRA etc. for them.

Then again, our buyers solictor has asked us if we have BRA paperwork
for the carport put up in 1965 by the previous owner...... FGS, they did
a big extension, new garage and I guess the carport all together almost
40 years ago - who gives a toss now?

On this point, is there some limit (I assume there is) on the time after
works are done when any action or enforcement can be taken against you
for not complying with building regs (or for that matter planning regs)
--
Chris French, Leeds