The Natural Philosopher

Willi wrote:

I like the difference in thickness which will result in an uneven look.
I want the finished project to look somewhat like a "more finished"
field wall. Similar to this:

http://www.decotile.ca/Slate/

but made up with narrower oblong tiles.

That is doable, if that is what you want.

I plan on cutting the 12X12 tiles into thirds and staggering the joints
as I work up the wall. From your guys' suggestions, I'll probably get
some grout that closely matches the main color of the tiles and use it
to fill in any gaps (although when laying them out I see little or no
gaps).

Another question I forgot to ask:

should I use a mortar adhesive like what is used on floor applications
or a different product?

I think you will have better results with a GOOD wall tile adhesive. I
have used both, and to be honest the evostik range of waterproof
adheisves are better for walls than the floor grade cements

The issue is walking. On floors, any gaps under the tiles will
eventually lead to loose tiles, and you may also need a bit of flex. On
walls the stresses are far far lower, and you really want to go for a
fast grab and possibly slightly rubbery adhesive - especially over
studowork.

Slicing slates with a diamond cutter is fairly easy: watch out for the
last smidegon chipping out. I made a lot of skirting tiles for the
slated are of the house that way. And some thin strips of dado line
decoration in a tiled bathroom. Looks OK.

Willi