"Christian McArdle" wrote in message . net...
Assuming this socket is on a ring (I haven't checked yet but I think it
will be) can I fit a switched FCU as a spur from this socket and then
take a flex cable from the FCU direct to the cooker?

Your main problem here will be available diversity on the ring circuit.

Firstly, it is a kitchen, so you can forget the 100m2 business here. This is
only appropriate for living and sleeping spaces, not kitchens full of high
load appliances.

So,

1. Is the ring circuit dedicated to the kitchen?
2. Is it 32A?
3. What appliances are plugged into it already? Washing machine? Tumble
dryer? Dishwasher? Microwave? Kettle? Toaster?

If the circuit isn't kitchen dedicated, or you have many of the appliances
in (2) on this circuit, then adding an oven to the circuit will be very bad
practice.

Christian.

Thanks for all your replies. I think my best and safest course of
action will be:
1. Feed the cooker directly from the consumer unit to a 45A DP
switch (which could also have a combined socket to use for toaster for
example). There should be a spare connection in the CU as my son has
just had a combi boiler installed which means that the old immersion
heater has been disconnected and removed. I will check on my next
visit. I presume I will have to change the circuit breaker to 45A.
What size cable to run to the cooker switch?

2 Take a spur off the existing double socket via a FCU with
suitable fuse for the extractor hood. I don't think it is a separate
ring for the kitchen and he has a fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster
and kettle plugged in. There are also the usual other household items
e.g. TV & HiFi in other rooms on this downstairs ring, so I will check
the total loading. What factor of safety should be used when comparing
total load to the capacity of the ring?

3 What is involved in completing a Building Control form? Is it
complex? Will it require a visit from someone to approve the work
before/after I go ahead?

Thanks again for your excellent help.
Petek (real name by the way is Peter Kay and I'm a true Lancashire
lad, but unfortunately I don't own a nightclub called Phoenix Nights)