I read the replies but I am still not compelled. HUD performed a
termite inspection 2 months ago and I have a copy of the report.
SERIOUS problems would be covered under the 10 year builders warranty.
The average inspection fee in the area is $200~$300 which is money I
could use to actually fix problems. Because there are no appliances or
light fixtures, there is a limited amount of testing that can be
performed. Finally, I still must incur the cost/hassle of having
utilities activated, getting the test performed, and then having them
disconnected within 48 hours. Basically, HUD's rule as explained to me
is that utilities can be turned on to perform the inspection but I
incur any financial burden of doing so. Finally, someone pointed out
the fine print about disclaimers. Any home inspector has a clause that
limits his liability to the amount paid for the home inspection and no
more. Bottom line: I still don't see the benefit to me except an extra
pair of eyes to see what I didn't see... and I am a VERY critical
detail oriented person.