Lurch

Default Help! RCD Keeps tripping on new wiring

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 19:21:17 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "Seri"
strung together this:

Just to test things out, I've wired a single socket to the new CU on the RCD
protected side.
If I plug anything what so ever into the socket I've wired in then the RCD
trips the moment the item is turned on.

Have you got the neutral in the right busbar?

I also had another consumer unit with RCD which I was going to use to
protect the external sockets. So I removed the RCD from that and used it to
replace the RCD in the installed consumer unit. The RCD's are exactly the
same model number. I get exactly the same response, immediate trip when a
device asks for power.

Are you sure it's not the device you're plugging in that's at fault.
Most people tend to accuse RCD's of being faulty if they trip.

I rewired the socket over to the non RCD side of the consumer unit and it
works fine.

The socket is wired as a direct spur straight from the RCD rather than as a
loop (it's only for testing).

You mean hung off the bottom of thr RCD with no MCB?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.