Will

Will wrote:

That looks like the test run by Fine Woodworking. I have one of their

books with that article.

The Mortise and tenon is marginally weaker, but tends to fail in such

manner as to leave the furniture in one piece -- albeit a bit wobbly.

Will, I believe that you quoted the article accurately. However, I
have another article published by FWW that says just the opposite. The
M&T was the king of strength, showing three times the more than twice
the strength of double biscuits. This was tested in a laboratory.

That is why I was specific about the article quoted. It goes on to say
that they believed the M&T may have not been made as good as it should
have been.

The failure mode as I noted is probably a more significant issue. Unless
you put more that 2700 lbs per joint on the chair...

I suspected that they might re-run the tests one day. It just did not
seem right that biscuits should win. Not in a "Fine Woodworking" mag. LOL

Personally, I think double biscuits are pretty strong for many types of
joinery and "good enough" so the discussion is academic anyway.

Bob

Agreed!

--
Will