Phisherman

#1 - definitely ugly. I've seen much better lap desks in Fine Woodworking,
etc.

#2 - Nothing is "Shaker" about this version of the item. The term "Shaker"
is used today in ways that would make Mother Ann Lee roll over in her grave.

#3 - While Shakers would have used lap desks (when on the road selling
seeds, rockers, etc.), they certainly didn't invent the item. In reality,
as far as furniture goes, the Shakers "invented" very little. As most of
the carpeters (male and female) joined the community and were not born into
it, they also brought with them the skills and influences of the "world".
The style of the day was influenced by the Shaker rule of simplicity in
construction became the Shaker style. Unfortunately, anything that appears
to be of a simple design is labeled "Shaker" in hopes it will generate
additional interest in the item.

Brian

Brian,

I have many Shaker books, and unless they are wrong, the Shakers had
an amazing amount of inventions. I know there's been some discussion
about the circular saw invented by a sister. But certainly, the
Shakers invented many aspects of furniture building, including the
tilting feet on chairs. Not all "Shaker" furniture was plain and
simple.