PrecisionMachinisT

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
For class I'm turning an aluminum flywheel. 3" diameter. The steps
a face the sides, drill & ream the center, press onto a mandrel, turn
the outside and sides. Anyway, after pressing it onto the mandrel (yes,
I cleaned out the cutting oil) I've found that I have to go very slowly
or the cutting tool will grab the wheel and spin it on the mandrel.
What are some good ways to deal with this problem? I already crammed
it as far onto the mandrel as I'm comfortable with. I'm tempted to just
loctite the damn thing.

Heat it, then quickly press it on--to remove, heat it up again.......~350
degrees F. should do the trick....remember, aluminum expands at a greater
rate than steel....

Oh, and take lighter cuts, use a sharp tool, etc....cause if it heats

--

SVL