Harold and Susan Vordos

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
For class I'm turning an aluminum flywheel. 3" diameter. The steps
a face the sides, drill & ream the center, press onto a mandrel, turn
the outside and sides. Anyway, after pressing it onto the mandrel (yes,
I cleaned out the cutting oil) I've found that I have to go very slowly
or the cutting tool will grab the wheel and spin it on the mandrel.
What are some good ways to deal with this problem? I already crammed
it as far onto the mandrel as I'm comfortable with. I'm tempted to just
loctite the damn thing.

Wow!

Without seeing it, it's hard to second guess the problem. Can I assume the
mandrel is ½?" Pressed with an arbor press? Tapped in with a hammer? Cast
aluminum, or bar stock?

That's not much to drive a large diameter cut. A couple things can help.
Make certain that your cutting tool is sharp, with a slight radius (1/64"
max) stoned on the tip so it cuts smoothly, but not too large, so you
increase surface area in contact with the cut. That can lead to chatter, and
increases cutting pressure, often overwhelming the friction fit of the
mandrel. A little positive rake will lower cutting resistance, but too
much will encourage hogging or chatter, so you have to walk a delicate line.
Take a lighter cut and finer feed. Do what it takes to lower cutting
pressure, but don't allow chatter to start. Once you get it, it can be
difficult to eliminate. Higher speeds encourage chatter, but improve
machining.

Harold