Will

That looks like the test run by Fine Woodworking. I have one of their
books with that article.

Practical Design Solutions and Strategies
Taunton Press
Article is by John D. Wagner

Choosing the Strongest Joinery for Doors.
Page 52.

One caution. They point out that the failure mode of a biscuit joint is
"catastrophic Failure" - literally an explosive failure of the joint.

The Mortise and tenon is marginally weaker, but tends to fail in such a
manner as to leave the furniture in one piece -- albeit a bit wobbly.

It is a difference of 3 biscuits fail at 2700 lbs. -- 2 biscuits at 2700
lbs. -- and M&T at 2600 lbs of force..

Looks like you have the chart from the magazine article -- a little more
info on it.

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
wesf66 wrote:

I use a dowelmax doweling jig, and it works great. It can, however, bequite
time consuming. Are biscuits close to the same strength? Theylook like they
would be a lot faster, but I thought I'd ask a fewquestions before paying a
few hundred for a new tool. Are theresignificant differances between buscuit
jointers? Are there certainfeatures that I should look for?-- wesf66

I have posted a graphic in ABPW which compares shear/pull strength of
the different methods. Some dowels, tenons, biscuits etc.

Caveat: I did not conduct these tests so I will not vouch for the
accuracy.

But, having said that, I built 8 cherry dining room chairs with doubled
biscuits and after 15 years, not a creak, not a wobble.
Biscuits may not be 'elegant' but they sure are tough if applied right.

I also dare to go out on a limb and state that there is more difference
between brands of biscuits than there is between the better quality
joiners.

YMMV

0¿0

Rob