Andy Hall

On 2 Mar 2005 14:31:01 -0800, wrote:

Mike - for gawd's sake. John doesn't know a drill from a biscuit

jointer.
He merely quotes specs and prices, without understanding either.

Andy buys and uses the things he talks about - so at least has a
worthwhile opinion on those he has merely had a play with.

Dave,

Andy may be better informed about some things than John. It doesn't
mean he's always right, it doesn't mean he should never be criticised,
and it doesn't give him the right to hector others in that
condescending way.

Mike

It seems to me that it's you who has the issue here. Firstly I have
never claimed or even given the impression that I am always right.

I think that you are confusing a reasoned argument (whether or not you
agree with the reasoning) with something handed out as undisputable
fact. I'm always open to criticism - it gives me no problem at all.
If you don't feel able to debate the subject, that's fine, but it's
your issue and not mine.

Obviously I describe things based on my set of values and judgment
criteria. I take pretty good care to make clear what those are and to
point out that others may well have other scales of values.

However, I make no apology for describing a broader way of looking at
things than people may have thought of - e.g. looking at total
lifetime cost of a product choice including personal time and not just
the investment cost. I think that people can make their own
choices easily enough.

Nobody is treating anybody in a condescending way or hectoring them
as you put it, and I really have no idea why you have that impression.

Either way, it would be far more useful if the subject matter were
discussed rather than your misguided views on how others present their
opinions.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl