Jim Yanik

mike wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote:
mike wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

mike wrote in
:

Take a good look at the connectors. Replace the plastic key. You
wouldn't think it important, but it helps guide the plugin so you
don't blow it up when you plug it in hot...

You are NOT supposed to "hot" plug TM500/5K units.

You are NOT supposed to spill coffee on your laptop.
You're NOT supposed to cut yourself shaving.
You're NOT supposed to drive your car into another.
You're NOT supposed...well...you get the point...$#!^ happens...

and you're not supposed to use the CDROM tray as a cupholder! 8-)

and having the key in place reduces the carnage when it does.
mike

Actually,it does not.
It all depends on which contacts are made first.

You are absolutely correct...it depends. And you should ALWAYS turn
off the power before removing/inserting plugins.
The key wasn't designed as an alignment aid, and it doesn't provide
much help, and I didn't intend to overblow it's importance.

Color me conservative...

BTW,I worked for TEK for 21.5 years,testing,calibrating,and repairing
TEK test and measurement and video test equipment.I've worked on
plenty of TM500 items.

I defer to your experience. I was merely the engineering manager for
much of the TM500 stuff that came out in the mid 70's.
mike

FWIW,I often used to see those plastic keys crushed or completely missing
from the TM500 mainframes.(ham-handed techs!)

I also liked most of the TM500 line,except for those TM500 scopes;they were
useless,IMO.(displays too small,and lots of noise on the displayed signal.
We almost got stuck with SC504s for BENCH scopes back in the early
1980's,when our early 7K scopes were wearing out.(7504!!)

I worked in the Indy and Orlando field offices.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik