gregg

B Man wrote:

#1 - definitely ugly. I've seen much better lap desks in Fine
#Woodworking,
etc.

#2 - Nothing is "Shaker" about this version of the item. The term
#"Shaker"
is used today in ways that would make Mother Ann Lee roll over in her
grave.

#3 - While Shakers would have used lap desks (when on the road selling
seeds, rockers, etc.), they certainly didn't invent the item. In reality,
as far as furniture goes, the Shakers "invented" very little. As most of
the carpeters (male and female) joined the community and were not born
into it, they also brought with them the skills and influences of the
"world". The style of the day was influenced by the Shaker rule of
simplicity in
construction became the Shaker style. Unfortunately, anything that
appears to be of a simple design is labeled "Shaker" in hopes it will
generate additional interest in the item.

Brian

What is Non-Shaker about this piece?

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm