Larry Jaques

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:49:59 -0800, the inscrutable "Greg Deputy"
spake:

I'm needing to get a new 240v circuit installed in my garage. I had an
electrician come out, and they wanted $1000 to do it. Not including any
sort of wire runs, but to just put in a branch circuit with an outlet right
next to the breaker box in the garage. That seems kinda steep. Any
electricians out there want to tell me what I should expect to pay?

When I moved here 3 years ago, it took me about 4 hours to remove the
wallboard behind the service panel, go up in the attic, run 3 new 240v
lines, mount them to boxes and outlets, and put covers on them. (I
should remove that wallboard and staple those wires, then run emt
conduit to the 2 exposed outlets to make it code-legal.)

Parts:

250' of 12/2 grounded Romex - $17.95 on sale (I used about half)
3 ea. L6-20R twist-lock outlets @ 6.95 each - $20.85
3 ea. L6-20P twist-lock plugs @ 8.95 each - $26.85
3 ea. metal outlet boxes @ $0.28 each - $0.84
1 ea. 4x8x7/16" chipboard @ 6.95 - $6.95

Labor: 4 hours @ $65/hr $260

SubTotals: $73.44 in parts and $260 labor

Grand total if I paid myself: $333.44

I would feel that an electrician was ripping me off if he charged over
$500 for the job. (Double the parts prices and higher labor.)

Get some more quotes or find someone to do the final hookup for
cheaper and do the main work yourself. Except for crawling around the
rafters, the work is not hard.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----