John Stumbles

S Viemeister wrote:

The project for this week, is replacing a section of app.90 year old soil
pipe, which has developed a split along its length.

We've finally managed to remove the split pipe, using a rented snapper and
cutting above the hub. The bottom of the pipe, though, was not only split
for most of its length, but seriously corroded, so it crushed, rather than
snapping (it was VERY thin, and resembled flaky pastry in texture)- Himself
finished the cut with a reciprocating saw. We had hoped to leave a long
enough stub, to simply splice-in a piece of plastic pipe, using a collar
and clamps. Unfortunately, there isn't enough intact pipe left above the
hub.
So, we'll need to remove the lead and oakum from said hub, and insert the
plastic in that.

Any tips on lead removal which don't involve the use of a torch?

Omigawd! Sure I did it myself long ago, I think I drilled out as much
lead as posible and pried out the rest with a gash[1] screwdriver or
whatever came to hand

[1] it was afterwards