nightjar

"ABC" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

wrote in message
news:1109772035.a11fc72560a1b2b62c5d0ea9cf3a6dfe@b ubbanews...
Hi, I`m intending to have some work done on my house, and I`m
wondering what effect the following things would have on the property
value.
Firstly, off-road parking is going to make a difference of some
degree, but what I`d like to know is how do the various options
compare, i.e. block paving, concrete, tarmac or gravel. Someone has
told me that "only block paving ads value", someone else has said "it
dosn`t make a difference as long as there`s off-road parking".
Secondly, what kind of per cent would turning the loft into a fourth
bedroom increase the value by?

As a general rule, anything you do is unlikely to add as much value as it
costs.

Colin Bignell

What??? So how come off-road parking costs approx £2k to £3k to do, and
add approx £5k to £8k on the value of the house.

Not around where I live it wouldn't. A garage might add value, at a greater
cost, but on-street parking is plentiful and free.

A £5k kitchen update may add anything from £5k to £10k on the value of a
house.

Once you have deducted your expenses, that translates as zero to £5k
increase in value. As a percentage increase in the value of a property
today, that is not very impressive. A coat of white paint on all the
ceilings and something warm and bright on the walls would be a much better
use of money.

A new kitchen would actually put me off buying. One of the first jobs when I
get a new house is to rebuild the kitchen to suit my way of cooking, which
makes an old and tatty one more attractive to me.

You can't just generalise

There will always be exceptions to any generalisation, but that does not
make them generally untrue.

Colin Bignell