Graeme Eldred

In message , mark b
writes
I've got some C.I fireplaces with a 100+ yrs of paint to strip. I've tried
chemical methods but end up with only about 90% success at getting them
clean. The old paint in the crevices seems to be immune to paint stripper.

I can't answer regarding the grit blasting, but do know *exactly* what
you mean about the paint in the crevices :-(

I did three CI Victorian fireplaces in a previous home, each of which
was covered in about a hundred year's worth of paint. The only way was
to completely empty the room, remove the worst of the paint with
Nitromors, then attack the small detail with a wire wheel in an electric
drill. Worked very well, but there was paint, Nitromors and spikes from
the wire wheel everywhere. Goggles and a mask are compulsory, so also
old clothing. Being a bachelor at the time helped, too :-)

When completely clean, I painted Zebo over the whole thing, using a one
inch paint brush (to get into the details), then buffed with a soft shoe
brush, finishing with a duster. Looked absolutely wonderful, and still
remains my favourite 'DIY' accomplishment.
--
Graeme