Owain

"Rob" wrote
| Does anyone know the rough/estimate costs of removing
| a chimney breast ...
| I would only be looking to remove it from the lower
| floor, it can remain in the rooms above (guess it
| would also need blocking off on the roof)
| I would be fairly confident about doing the work on the
| removing the bricks etc, but would probably want 3rd
| party to brick it back up and install the reinforcement
| for the breast above.

In most cases you will be better removing the chimney breast right up to the
attic, as the supporting steelwork can be accommodated more easily in the
larger space and this will cause less disruption than trying to fit steels
between floors.

You will require Building Regulations approval for this work, including
structural calculations on how you are going to support the remaining work.
These calcs will probably have to be signed off by a structural engineer. If
the breast is on a party wall (in England and Wales) the Party Wall Act will
also apply.

When you appoint a builder you should make it a condition of the contract
that the work is carried out to the satisfaction of your StructE and have
the StructE inspect the work before paying the builder. You really need the
StructE before the builder, because the StructE can prepare working dwgs and
specs against which you can invite builders to quote.

Removing the chimney breast without supporting the stack above is probably
the most common cause of "I did some DIY and the house fell down" stories,
and builders cannot be relied upon to do the job properly on their own
initiative.

Once the steelwork is in, removing the brickwork below is diyable.

Owain