Owain

Mark wrote
| Hi, I`m intending to have some work done on my house, and
| I`m wondering what effect the following things would have
| on the property value.
| Firstly, off-road parking is going to make a difference
| of some degree,

If there is good on-street residents' parking, and the house appeals to
young families, and the front garden is the play area, turning it into a
parking place might actually down-value.

| but what I`d like to know is how do the various options
| compare, i.e. block paving, concrete, tarmac or gravel.
| Someone has told me that "only block paving ads value",

That would be a block paving salesman would it?

| someone else has said "it dosn`t make a difference as long
| as there`s off-road parking".

.... in reasonably good order and in keeping with the style of house and
locality. Concrete's a bit dismal, and gravel more appropriate for a larger
drive; I think paving or tarmac probably the best. Expensive finishes will
not add value but may increase saleability.

To turn a front garden into off-road parking will require Planning
Permission for a new road access (and consent from the road owner if not the
council).

| Secondly, what kind of per cent would turning the loft into a
| fourth bedroom increase the value by?

Depends. If the house is currently unbalanced with too much reception space,
adding a bedroom will correct that. However if the lounge is already a bit
small for a 3-bed it will make the house more unbalanced adding a 4th. Bear
in mind you might lose a bedroom on the middle floor to make space for the
stairs. If you do add a bedroom you should add at least a shower/WC room on
the same level. Also depends on the market for your house -- if it is older
people / empty nesters then they won't want lots of bedrooms and two flights
of stairs. If it is buy-to-let, fire regulations in 3-storey HMOs are more
stringent.

Owain