Seafarer

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:14:57 GMT, "Russ"
wrote:

I read somewhere that when a IC develops a short it will start to heat up.
So I was thinking that maybe one of the new laser type of Temp probes might
help in troubleshooting. Are they sensitive enough? Can they isolate a
small 1 inch square area without picking up things close by? I talked to
one company and they said a large 12:1 or higher ration between the distance
and spot being measured is what to look for. Any particular model or ideas
a long this line?

Thanks

I use the finger test and have for thirty years,if you want to be more
precise you can buy small square temp strips that you stick on top of
the IC.Readout is the same as a medical digi.thermometer.Got some five
years ago as they are cheap,but never used them.Use your finger tip
away from the hot chassis.To hot to touch,it's bad!