Dave Plowman

Default flourescent tube colour washing?

In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Depends whether you want to retain the accuracy of the colours on your
monitor - although this depends on what colour temperature it's
designed or set up for.

Tubes like that look terrible under all conditions. Cool white is the
tube that gave fluorescents such a bad name, and 4500K is quite
similar to cool white, being nearly as nasty. The only exception I've
found is with extremely low powers, like 2w, which give an icy moonlit
nightlighting effect.

Well, since there are tubes that mimic daylight, perhaps you're actually
Dracula? ;-)

3500K shouldnt distort the eye's view of 6000K monitor colours - but
setting a monitor to 9000K is both colour distortion and not very
pleasant to work with. I've never really understood why its a popular
setting. Things look so much better at more sensible colour temps.

Genuine daylight tubes are excellent for work environments, IMHO, or where
colour rendering is important. But don't confuse them with the nasty
'white' things supplied with a cheap fitting.
Of course, domestically, you'll often need a better match to tungsten for
pleasant night time lighting, but that's a different ball game.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn