Pete C.

Greg Deputy wrote:

Yeah, the next electrician said he'd do the outlet right next to the panel
for $100. Meithinks the first guy is trying to rip me off....

I'm probably going to have him run it to the other side of the garage,
wouldnt i have to get it inspected or something to make sure its up to code
if I did it?

"Ignoramus24456" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:04:54 -0800, Greg Deputy wrote:
Thanks for all the responses!

To add some details, i'm looking to add a 60A circuit in my garage,

right
next to the circuitbox.

Do you mean right next to your main electrical panel?

Nothing in the way, no problems, plenty of room in the breaker box
for the additonal breakers. The guy who came to give an 'estimate'
just had a book, and his book said $700 for a new 40A 240v branch
circuit, $950 for a 50A. If I wanted him to run conduit and wire to
the other side of the garage where a lathe is going, it would be
more.

Even funnier, the guy said his company was expensive, and he'd be happy

come in on the weekend and do it for half the price on his own time....

If you are going to run a single short circuit all within the garage,
any $$amount is too expensive. This is a perfect beginner level
project for you to do. ask questions in alt.home.repair, get a permit
if you like, and go ahead.

"Greg Deputy" wrote in message
I'm needing to get a new 240v circuit installed in my garage. I had an
electrician come out, and they wanted $1000 to do it. Not including

any
sort of wire runs, but to just put in a branch circuit with an outlet
right
next to the breaker box in the garage. That seems kinda steep. Any
electricians out there want to tell me what I should expect to pay?

--

It may vary by location, but usually the homeowner can do their own
work, but they need to pull a permit and have it inspected just like any

Pete C.