Pete C.

Greg Deputy wrote:

I'm needing to get a new 240v circuit installed in my garage. I had an
electrician come out, and they wanted $1000 to do it. Not including any
sort of wire runs, but to just put in a branch circuit with an outlet right
next to the breaker box in the garage. That seems kinda steep. Any
electricians out there want to tell me what I should expect to pay?

You don't give a lot of details, but if we assume you're talking about
something like a welder outlet right next to the main panel in an
exposed location in a garage and there are no "problems" such as a full
or obsolete panel:

1 50A 2 pole circuit breaker $10-20 depending on brand
1 50A receptacle $20-$40 depending on type
1 box to mount receptacle in $5
1 offset nipple to connect box to panel $5
12' of 6 ga THHN wire $10

Figure 1 hour of labor for a simple installation.

So I'd say up to about $200 is reasonable, much more than that would be
suspect in my opinion. As mentioned earlier that is based on an
uncomplicated installation, a full or obsolete panel could well require
a lot of extra work and justify a higher cost.

I'm not a licensed electrician, but I've done plenty of my own work so I
have a good idea of time and materials.

For a price comparison, a friend of mine recently upgraded the service
in his house from 60A fuses to a 100A breaker panel and a new meter
socket. As the homeowner he can do his own work and pull permits, etc.

While he had added a circuit here and there in the past he was a little
leery of tackling a project this size. As the more experienced
electrician I gave him the "service upgrade 101" class.

The project probably took him about 10-12 hours of work total. The
materials cost was about $300. The inspector *loved* the work and
commented that it was a neater job than many done by commercial
electricians he's inspected.

Pete C.