Don Foreman

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:59:48 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

I'm putting a 3/4 sweat fitting OVER 1/2" brass pipe, cuz, well, I think I
have no choice, cuz the brass pipe will be cut, w/ no thread.
The fit is loose, about .020 on radius.
Do you think sweating this is still OK? Solder won't be too weak??
Other choices? Saw the JustforCopper link--might could do that on nice
slip-fits, but doesn't sound suitable for loose joints.

Also, I have heavy rosin core solder, almost as heavy as plumbing solder.
Is it usable for normal sweating, and for this abnormal sweating??

I guess if I had to I could braze it... been a while since I've brazed, and
wasn't too swift at it when I was doin it!!

Interestingly, HVAC copper A/C piping/joints are brazed, *without* flux!!
They use a funny kind of rod, sort of rectangular, IIRC. Anyone know about
this??

Wrap the 1/2" pipe with a few turns of solid #26 clean bare copper
wire before soldering or brazing.