Graham Jones

Default Moving socket - options and regulations

I need to move a socket about 4 feet. The socket is on a ring circuit
and I can move one of the cables to the new position but for obvious
reasons the other won't reach. So I have a number of options:

1. Replace the cable that won't reach. Means finding the previous socket
on the ring and replacing from there.

2. Extend the cable that won't reach. I believe crimping is the correct way.

3. Take both cables and join using junction box under the floorboards.
Take spur off junction box to new socket position.

4. Keep existing socket and add new socket as a spur.

My thoughts on these options a

1. More work than the other options.

2. No crimping tool.

3. I like this one.

4. I don't want to keep the existing socket.

I like number 3 but the old "junction boxes must be accessible" argument
rears its ugly head. All the lighting in my house has been done this way
(not by me) with junction boxes under floorboards, underlay and carpet.

So how "legal" is my option 3 ?

Any other methods ?

Thanks,

Graham