Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"[news]" writes:
Rob wrote:
Does anyone know the rough/estimate costs of removing a chimney breast along
the size shown in this picture
http://media.rightmove.co.uk/3k/2006...546_IMG_01.JPG

I would only be looking to remove it from the lower floor, it can remain in
the rooms above (guess it would also need blocking off on the roof)

I would be fairly confident about doing the work on the removing the bricks
etc, but would probably want 3rd party to brick it back up and install the
reinforcement for the breast above.

personally, I'd save myself a lot of money and potential trouble by
building some quality book cases either side of the breast.

Also, you could open out the fireplace and use it as a display
area or somewhere for the Hi Fi. I unblocked a bricked up fireplace
a year ago and did this. I put in a recessed plasterboard roof to
seal the flue off from the room (and put an airbrick through from
the flue to the outside just above to ventilate the flue). Dropped
a lighting cable down the flue from a second airbrick vent into
the loft at the top, with a small hidden light on the new piece of
plasterboard, and that maes the fireplace into a nice display area.
Also, as the rear of the fireplace was only a single skin brick
north facing outside wall, I lined the back with 1" cellotex and
plasterboard, so it wouldn't get condensation (and it hasn't).

--
Andrew Gabriel