Holly, in France

Cicero wrote in message news:3UeVd.26692
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

snip..... I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

..
Nonetheless I find your idea of a large home-made pot quite
interesting. What kind of gun / grit do you use and what size
compressor? I ask because I recently went to buy one of the
Machine Mart guns and was advised by a
member of staff that the pressure / CFM figures quoted
in their catalogue were misleading. It appears that they have
now revised the figures in the latest online catalogue.
I'll pick up a copy of 'Practical Classics' if I
see one as I really do need to do some large scale grit blasting.

We have two home made pots, one small one made, like Andy's, from a
propane cylinder, and a larger one made from an LPG cylinder from an old
car. We use sandblasting nozzles on the end of flexible pipe and run it
off a road compressor, can't remember the CFM figures offhand. This set
up is mainly for large-scale blasting of walls and timber, something
smaller would be better for smaller jobs but it is all we have so we use
it for everything. We don't have a cabinet, we occasionally do small
bits outside in the open but then again we have never lived anywhere
with any near neighbours :-) Depending on what you mean by large-scale
you might also need a helmet, preferably one with a separate air supply
if you are working in enclosed areas. Even with that it is still a
horrible job. In Ireland we sometimes used the black stuff, aluminium
oxide???? but in France we use sand and recycle it sometimes, depending
on its condition after the first use. Sorry that's all a bit vague, hope
it is of some use.

We have an old fire extinguisher here, I'm just wondering if a good use
for it might be to make a small pot which would run off the garage
compressor.....

--

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,