Swingman

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Most of the guys around my parts have gone to smaller units (maybe 8
yards?), with large, plastic, lockable lids. They need to be emptied
more, but they aren't filled up with sqatter trash, so the overall cost
is lower.

Hell, the workers (at least the ones relegated to throwing away the
offcuts/refuse) on most of the crews these days, and the "squatters", are of
the caliber that they are just as likely to throw the trash on top of the
lid as under it, as long as they don't have to pay dump fees.

Besides, It's hard to find anything smaller than a 12 yard around here. You
generally take what you can get when they're switched out, and most
companies only mess with 12 and 16 yard skids.

I generally go to a zoning mandated trash enclosure made with OSB after
sheetrocking (+/- 9 yards) ... but it sill costs around $150 to have the
contents hauled off, whereas a 16 yard skid is $225 +/-.

Being a one man operation, I am the one getting fined. As a consequence, I
am intimately familiar with the contents of the dumpster because I 'walk and
chunk' every evening. I also keep two brooms, a water hose, and a shovel in
the back of my truck for my other job: 'street cleaner'. I live in the same
neighborhood where the latest one is going up and these are my neighbors who
have to live with the results if I didn't, so putting that much effort into
cleanup and trying to maintain a safe construction site, you get doubly
****ed when unthinking idiots steal the fruits of your labor.

I'm partial to the idea of all thieves losing a hand for each offense ...
would cut back on theft real quick. AAMOF, I would volunteer in a heartbeat
to wield the axe.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04