Will

Kirk wrote:
I have independently originated a style. All of my turnings are round, or at least
have some semblance of round... At least there is a round plane somewhere in each
of my turnings, or there was when I began mutilating that piece of beautiful wood.
Can I claim this style as my own?

No. Over 30 years ago I did something in this shape. Be warned. However,
on reflection, since you spoke so elegantly and eloquently, I grant you
special dispensation to make round pieces. All others take note and be
warned though... LOL

I am not a well educated or cultured person; I don't have the skills to articulate
a convincing argument about owning inspiration. I am someone who enjoys and spends
a lot of time turning. Someone else suggesting that I should not display a piece
in a library because it could devalue the work of an established artist… well it
just ****es me off.

My point too - I was just trying not to offend. Not that you did. I will
probably laugh all day while thinking of your post.

Especially when I have never made an attempt to copy one of
these artists' shapes. When I put the gouge to wood it rarely ends up with the
shape that I envisioned when the bark was on the log;

Mine neither - but for different reasons than yours I will bet...
Dig-ins, gouges spirals that sorta...

however, the final shape is
often something that I am quite proud of and others value. If it happens to
resemble a piece that one of these artists has produced, then tough.

I agree. My point too I think. Yours is more to the point however.

Once again I am back into this topic after being up all night working at my real
job. (the one that pays for my turning) Gonna go to sleep for a while, wake up,
make shavings with a clear conscience, and **** on anyone who is arrogant enough to
suggest that they can own a shape.

Sleep well and turn with a clear conscience. I know that I will.

Would love to see some of your work. When you do display it -- let us
all know.

Kirk

--
Will