George

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
I've made several sets of Wedding Goblets for my kids as they've tied the
knot, and did quite a bit of research on finishes that would hold up to
alcohol. Seems like most agree that many finishes are "food safe" after
fully cured. What I ended up using was a thinned polyurethane (1/3 mineral
spirits to 2/3 Minwax gloss poly). Several coats applied 4 - 6 hours

apart,
and left to cure for 30 days or so after the final coat. The goblets were
used at the weddings, and infrequently afterwards for several years. So

far,
all my kids, and their spuoses are still healthy, their kids seem about as
normal as can be expected, and the goblets still have their original

finish
after lots of hand washings.

BINGO!

If you have the time, soak the things in a thinned poly before the surface
coats. If you can't digest the plastic, you can't get to the bound
siccative, though you'll never convince some people of that.

"Hand washing" is a good follow-on. The danger from one unwashed or poorly
washed hand after touring your favorite "save the wolves" exhibit is greater
than you'll ever experience from cured polyurethane.