The Natural Philosopher

Default Tree stump removal

Nick Brooks wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Its easy with a mini digger, harder with a pickaxe, spade and shovel..

I had one such - leylandii - and I simply built a series of bonfires
on it, removing the ash over and over. Whne it vanished below ground
level I covered it over.

Any suggestions?

If you decide to go for the bonfire method, drill a few large holes in
the stump and fill them with parafin. Allow to soak in before seting
fire to stump.

Even better if you can get it is pitassium nitrate. Make sure you leave
your Q'ran and burhkah behind when purchasing.

Nick Brooks