Cicero

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "mark b"
wrote:

Is there such a thing as a smallish grit blaster that could be used

indoors?

The small gritblaster that works is a "pressure pot". Forget the
cheap guns from Machine Mart - they work fine, but in such a tiny spot
it's unusably slow. I use a pot welded up from a small propane
cylinder, or you can buy them from the back of Practical Classics.

You'll also need a cabinet. Look at Machine Mart or Northern Tools for
ideas, then make your own. I use an old '50s fridge, the sort with a
"Michael Jackson" door lock handle to trap small children inside.

On the whole though, I wouldn't bother. Find someone local who does
grit blasting and take them over. It's a horrible job as a one-off.

================
I assumed that the OP was trying to remove the last traces of paint from his
fireplaces (having done major paint removal by conventional methods) and
that the fireplaces were still 'in situ' - hence the need for a grit blaster
for indoor use. If this is the case then the Machine Mart guns are quite
suitable for this particular job.

Nonetheless I find your idea of a large home-made pot quite interesting.
What kind of gun / grit do you use and what size compressor? I ask because I
recently went to buy one of the Machine Mart guns and was advised by a
member of staff that the pressure / CFM figures quoted in their catalogue
were misleading. It appears that they have now revised the figures in the
latest online catalogue. I'll pick up a copy of 'Practical Classics' if I
see one as I really do need to do some large scale grit blasting.

Cic.