William

"AndyB" wrote in message

I think everyone here has talked me in to doing
it myself.

And, yes, I am a programmer. What's it to you?!?!?! (kidding)

My tools are bigger than bench top, but not exactly unisaws.
The tools I most care about are
Delta floor drill press
14 inch delta band saw
Jet 6 inch floor standing jointer
Rockwell (OLD Delta) contractor's table saw

All this discussion for ONE pickup truck load of stuff!!! :-)

William....

Nothing a couple of friends can't move.

Thanks for the input.

And yeah, getting rid of textbooks really sucks.
Nobody wants them, they were expensive to buy, and
they are full of such good info. (Well, ok, old
programming books are nearly worthless)

Prometheus wrote in
:

I don't know how big your tools are, so this may be very good or very
bad advice. When I moved, I used a furniture dolly (the kind with the
strap to hold things in place when moving) and a low flatbed trailer
with a ramp, and moved all my tools myself. The major caveats to this
approach are that 1. My tools mainly fall into the "benchtop"
category, and even with stands full of ballast, the heaviest weighs
about 250 pounds, 2. I work with steel all day, so too heavy for me
and too heavy for, say, a computer programmer are not necessarily the
same thing, 3. My stands were all built by me, and have enough surface
area below the tools themselves to strap the stands down securely
without touching the fences or work surfaces, and 4. My shop was
moving from a street-level garage to a street-level basement- no
stairs or hills were involved in the move.

As long as you can do it, I'd vote for moving the tools yourself- no
one is going to be more careful with your shop than you are. But if
you've got a Unisaw and a 8" freestanding jointer and a 20" bandsaw,
you may be out of luck- in that case, I'd personally go for another
poster's suggestion of using a piano moving company.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam