AAvK

I'm a cheap bastuhd; here's my two cents worth:
For bench planes, I've bought all of mine off of ebay; other than a
gorgeous #4, haven't paid more than about $40, but it's been a while. I
can't really see paying ~$200 when you can get something quite
serviceable for quite a lot less.
I've also got a couple of older Stanley blocks -- a 220, and 60 1/2 --
both were ok, and I didn't pay a lot for either one, maybe $30 at the
most.
I've also got the low-angle LV block. Bang-for-the buck, this one's a
no-brainer. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and forgo the Stanley's.
"Only" ~$100, but you can make shavings with it right out of the box.
(get the chamfering attachment, if you go this route; it works really
well, and you'll learn all about reading grain. DAMHIKT.)
I don't mind fettling at all -- it's a part of the price of acquisition.
But I'd still forgo the Stanley block planes ...
(No affliation with LV, other than as a well satisfied customer ...)
Regards,
JT

Me, I 'm a po' bastud and I entirely agree with you. Nice and new and far
higher quality for not much more, is the way to go. Veritas!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com