Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:22:42 GMT, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Ollie" Olivili at Hot Mail dot com wrote in message
Is there a simple set of "rules" that would help me to
decide when I should invest on router bits, shaper cutters, or both? My
main interest is in the accuracy and quality of the cut and secondary
interest is in the safety of the cutting operation.

Smaller the diameter of the bit, the more you need the router's speed.

Larger the diameter or more frequent the cut - the shaper.

I have both. There are some jobs that the shaper does better and safer. Cope
and stick doors are one of the tasks favoring the shaper.

Tongue and groove molding is a shaper job.

By the time you buy a 3hp router, build a precision router table, and add
all of the guide fences and gadgets, you've exceeded the price of a Grizzly
shaper.

ayup -- Woodtek shaper in my case. Turned out a tad more expensive
because I added the sliding table -- but that would have been rather
difficult with a router table.

My shaper is a Rockwell. My routers are mostly yellow, but I do have a PC690
in an extension table on my CS. It just is not as precise as the shaper with
its ground cast iron table. The height adjustment on the shaper is quick and
stays in place, it doesn't creep like the 690 will. I've never had the motor
and arbor fall out of the shaper while shaping. I have had the router fall
out. Fortunately, I had the router on a foot switch and was able to avoid
damage or injury. I'm sure if you use one of the height adjusting mechanisms
on the router, that wouldn't happen, but that sure puts the cost up above
the cost of a shaper.

Not many agree with me, but that really doesn't matter. :-) As with other
issues, go with what ever floats your boat.

One of those not many who does agree with you, for pretty much the same
reasons you listed above, except I haven't had a router fall out of the
table -- yikes!

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody