Leonard Caillouet

Had a Toshiba television that would not start until I flipped the board
over. Turned out to be a loose core on a switching transformer. It moved
about a centimeter and wouldn't run.

Leonard

"EL" wrote in message
Yeah, I've already tried the "solder joint" thing - inspected every d**m

one in the PS, touched-up about 50 of them (although
none really looked bad). Will definitely have to take a look at the caps.

It's a really nasty problem since it can't be reproduced on the bench.

The pj is normally mounted on the ceiling
(upside-down) and will start maybe 1/3 of the time. Remove it from the

ceiling and turn it right-side-up and it starts 3/4
of the time. Put it on the bench and take the covers off and it starts

100% of the time no matter how it's oriented!

Seems like a mechanical issue to me but so far I've had it completely

apart twice and haven't really found anything.

Eric Law

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"EL" wrote in message
I've got an InFocus LP435z DLP projector that's driving me nuts!

The lamp (HID type) intermittently fails to ignite. Sounds like a bad

lamp but it's not - the problem is it doesn't even
*try* to ignite. The unit makes a distinctive noise when the

"starting"
circuit is going and when it's in a bad mood there's
no noise. I've managed to track down the signal from the logic board

the PS that tells the lamp to start and hooked an
LED to it - from this I've determined that the problem lies in the

supply
because even when the lamp doesn't start the LED
lights. So what I need at this point is a schematic for the power

supply
(which is a custom unit).

Chances of finding a schematic are slim to none, in my experience though

you'll find the problem is either a cracked solder joint or a bad
electrolytic capacitor in the lamp ballast board.