AndyB

Mark, thanks!

I do happen to have a large gun safe (800 pounds empty).
I had no idea a "regular" moving company would even
consider moving it. I sure would prefer to deal with ONE
moving company instead of dealing with movers and riggers.

I think you just saved me some hassle. I will stick with the
bigger companies and ask them to quote with the safe.

AndyB

"Mark W. Keller" wrote in
k.net:

I've been in the moving business for the past 12 years, starting as a
"lumper" and as a driver for the past 7 years. Go with a big name
company (United, Mayflower, Graebel, etc.), they won't pull the
"fly-by-night" scams you hear about.
If you can help it, don't move during the peak season (May-sept.).
That's the time when ALL the companies are so busy they need to use
temp labor with no experience. Also, don't go for the biggest
discount. A good driver will turn down the load if it doesn't pay
enough, so you'll be stuck with a second rate driver. Specifically as
for a low claims driver. Also, pay the little extra for "Full
Replacement Value" on your shipment. That way if anything happens,
the van line/driver is on the hook to repair or replace any damage
item. Otherwise all they're liable for is $.60/lb. Generally, any
reputable, full service moving company should be able to handle your
machinery. We regularly move grand pianos, gun safes, and all manner
of machinery without any problems.

Mark